events & workshops
The Intersection of the Yoga Sutras and Meditation: Four Meditations Suggested by the Yoga Sutras with Maria Rubinate and Barbara Verrochi
an evening Lecture with Eddie Stern
In this two hour lecture, Eddie will discuss some of the underlying mechanisms of yoga that make it an effective practice for self-regulation, emotional regulation, and spiritual experience. Drawing from his book, One Simple Thing, he will discuss a variety of scientific findings and yogic explanations that complement both an Eastern and Western approach to spiritual practice.
Cultivating a Diverse Yoga Community with Kate Johnson
As yoga teachers, we’re not just teaching yoga — we’re teaching people. How can we make our classes as accessible as possible for people of all backgrounds and lived experiences?
Join yoga teacher and organizational consultant Kate Johnson for a mindful, embodied approach to cultivating inclusion and avoiding harm. You will leave the weekend with best practices for teaching yoga in diverse community in an authentic, liberated way.
Kate Johnson loves working at the intersections of spiritual practice, social action and creativity, and is a participant in Spirit Rock’s 2017-2021 Teacher Training Program. Currently, Kate teaches at New York Insight, The Rubin Museum, the School for Visual Arts, Spirit Rock and at the Institute for Contemporary Art in Philadelphia. She is also on staff at Buddhist Peace Fellowship, where she designs online educational programs integrating Buddhadharma and Social Justice. She is the author of Friendship as Freedom: Mindful Practices for Resisting Oppression and Building Community. www.katejohnson.com
- Saturday, Oct 6
- 12:30 – 3:30:
- Where do We Begin?: Mindful Speaking and Compassionate Listening
- Liberation Lexicon: Developing a Shared Language for Inclusive Community
- Sunday, Oct 7
- Rhizome Map: Seeing Privilege and Oppression in Ourselves and Our World
- What Would You Do?: Case Studies
- Toolkit: Best Practices in Cultivating Diverse Yoga Community
- Closing and Next Steps
- $45 individual workshops
- $125 weekend
- $175: 15-hours applied towards 300-hour accreditation | includes 7.5 hours homework
- 12:30 – 3:30:
Yoga Therapy with Amy Matthews
Amy Matthews, CMA, IDME, BMC Teacher, RSMT/RSME has been teaching movement since 1994. She is a Certified Laban Movement Analyst, a Body-Mind Centering® Teacher, an Infant Developmental Movement Educator, and a yoga therapist and yoga teacher.
Amy is the co-founder and co-director of Babies Project with Sarah Barnaby. Previously she was a director of The Breathing Project, and co-authored with Leslie Kaminoff the best-selling book Yoga Anatomy (published by Human Kinetics).
Amy is certified as a yoga teacher and as a Motherhand Shiatsu practitioner, is registered with ISMETA as a Somatic Movement Therapist and Educator and has been registered with Yoga Alliance as an E-500 RYT. She teaches embodied anatomy and movement workshops for programs in the US and internationally, and works privately integrating Laban Movement Analysis, Bartenieff Fundamentals, yoga, Body-Mind Centering and Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF).
yoga in the park
Connect with the Earth, the sky and the trees at the Monument Greene Lawns in Fort Greene Park. Shala teachers will lead an all level one-hour Vinyasa class every Saturday morning at 11:00am from April through mid-October, weather permitting.
july 20 – cancelled due to heat
- 5/18 Sasha Ginnetti assisted by Susan Raposo
- 5/25 no class
- 6/1 Jenny Campbell
- 6/8 Sasha Ginnetti / Christine Hou
- 6/15 Kristin/Barbara assisted by Mary Chan, Peyton Biederman, Jules, Workneh, Jonathan Sabbagh
- 6/22 Mary Chan
- 6/29 Susan Raposo assisted by Lauren Pecorella
- 7/6 no class
- 7/13 Anna Vomacka
- 7/20 no class, cancelled due to heat
- 7/27 Jenny Campbell
- 8/3 Braeden Lentz
- 8/10 Jen George
- 8/17 Angilique Campbell
- 8/24 Susan Raposo
- 9/7 Braeden Lentz
- 9/14 Maria Margolies assisted by Paul Kovalski and Jonathan Sabbagh
- 9/21 Mary Chan assisted by Jenny Meyer
- 9/28 Susan Raposo
- 10/5 Lara Torsky assisted by Robin Newman
- 10/12 Alana Kessler assisted by Jonathan Sabbagh
- 10/19 Jenny Campbell
- 10/26 Robin Newman