welcome to the shala!
get your practice going with one of our beginner-suitable classes. we encourage those brand new to yoga to start out with classes suited to a beginner’s needs. the following classes offer a comfortable pace, step-by-step instruction, and a supportive atmosphere. always let the teacher know if you are working with injuries or specific conditions, and whether or not you prefer to receive physical assists.
- Vinyasa | 1
- Vinyasa | all levels
- slow down | all levels
- wind down | all levels
- ashtanga | mysore all levels
- mysore ashtanga operates like a one-room schoolhouse. you will find students of all levels, from brand new to multi-decade veterans, practicing together. new students are guided through the sequences step-by-step; progress is incremental according to each individual.
check our schedule for class times, vinyasa at the shala for descriptions, and let us know if you have any questions.
here are some things to know before attending class.
- our studio leans toward ashtanga-style teaching, which means hands-on assists may be offered. if you would prefer not to be physically adjusted, please inform the teacher every time you attend class. if you are unfamiliar with the ashtanga method, please see "ashtanga at the shala" under the "about us" tab.
- if you have any injuries or are working with specific physical conditions, be sure to let the teacher know.
- when you arrive at the studio, please print your name clearly on the sign-in sheet. if taking class in union square, check in with the front desk. if taking class in fort greene, check in with the teacher.
- please arrive 10-15 minutes before class. if you are late, please sit quietly near the door until the teacher is done giving the opening chant/prayer/meditation/dharma talk.
- please be respectful of the practice space, our teachers, and your fellow practitioners. make sure to silence your cell phone at the beginning of class, and to clean up your practice space at the end of class (please do not leave any props, tissues, water bottles, towels, etc. behind).