200-hour Shala Teacher Training
Yoga Alliance Certified
Spring – Fall 2018
You love yoga and want to learn more about it. You would like to develop your own consistent practice, and perhaps share what you discover with others. Our comprehensive and rigorous curriculum is designed to suit students interested in becoming skilled teachers, as well as practitioners searching for a deeper connection with this profound tradition.
We value an authentic approach to the study of yoga. From our classes to our workshops to our teachers, the Shala culture reflects a commitment to the principles of sthira and sukha, or steadiness and ease. The 200-hour Teacher Training aims to cultivate these qualities in our trainees—physically, philosophically, and professionally.
The Shala’s 200-hour training is held over the course of ten weekend-long sessions at our vibrant Union Square studio. Our training will focus on developing:
- A consistent practice
- Your voice as a teacher
- Intelligent, safe, and creative sequencing
- Clear and precise alignment instruction
- Effective adjustments and assists
- Flexible and appropriate approaches to teaching both beginner and intermediate/advanced students
- A consistent meditation practice
We’ll engage with the therapeutic applications of yoga:
- Injury and anatomy
- Yoga as a healing art
- Prenatal and postnatal
and expand our understanding of yoga as a vital, evolving tradition:
- Tracing Lineage, History, and Philosophy of Yoga
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Chanting and Sanskrit
When we gather for training sessions, we observe the importance of learning and growing alongside one another. This program provides trainees with meaningful opportunities to develop and explore the many facets of yoga within a supportive community.
Training Dates and Hours: 10 weekends, TBA
Primary Teachers: Barbara Verrochi, Kristin Leigh, Annie Piper, Maria Rubinate, Maria Cutrona, Julianna Takacs.
Guest Teachers: Ron Reid, Marla Meenakshi, Christopher Hildebrandt, Jenny Meyer, and more.
Required Texts: Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Edwin Bryant, The Bhagavad Gita by Eknath Easwaran, Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg, Yoga Mala by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar, Guruji: A Portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students by Guy Danahaye and Eddie Stern, How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind – Pema Chodron, Health, Healing and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya – T.K.V. Desikachar, Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews
- $3500, pay $500 non-refundable deposit by March 15th
- Inquire about payment plan. We add on $75 for payment plan processing. Total is $3575
- Yoga classes free during training dates (50% off classes during July and August)
- Work study is available for reduced training prices
- 25 classes at the Shala
- In-class privates
- Class observations
- Anatomy and asana worksheets
- Close reading of texts
- Dharma reports (dharma talks based on reading)
- Memorization of Yoga Sutras
- Meditation and journaling
To apply for the Shala’s 200-hour Advanced Training, inquire at email@example.com to begin the registration process.