200-hour Shala Teacher Training
Yoga Alliance Certified
April to November 2019 (July/August no classes)
You love yoga and want to learn more about it. You would like to develop your own consistent practice, and perhaps share what you discover with others. Our comprehensive and rigorous curriculum is designed to suit students interested in becoming skilled teachers, as well as practitioners searching for a deeper connection with this profound tradition
We value an authentic approach to the study of yoga. From our classes to our workshops to our teachers, the Shala culture reflects a commitment to the principles of sthira and sukha, or steadiness and ease. The 200-hour Teacher Training aims to cultivate these qualities in our trainees—physically, philosophically, and professionally.
The Shala’s 200-hour training is held over the course of ten weekend-long sessions at our vibrant Union Square studio. Our training will focus on developing:
- A consistent practice
- Your voice as a teacher
- Intelligent, safe, and creative sequencing
- Clear and precise alignment instruction
- Effective adjustments and assists
- Flexible and appropriate approaches to teaching both beginner and intermediate/advanced students
- A consistent meditation practice
We’ll engage with the therapeutic applications of yoga:
- Injury and anatomy
- Yoga as a healing art
- Prenatal and postnatal
and expand our understanding of yoga as a vital, evolving tradition:
- Tracing Lineage, History, and Philosophy of Yoga
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Chanting and Sanskrit
When we gather for training sessions, we observe the importance of learning and growing alongside one another. This program provides trainees with meaningful opportunities to develop and explore the many facets of yoga within a supportive community.
Training Dates and Hours: Saturdays and Sundays 12:30 to 6:30pm at Union Square studio.
- April 6, 7
- April 27, 28
- May 4, 5
- May 18, 19
- June 1, 2
- June 7, 8
- June 15, 16
- September 21, 22
- October 5, 6
- October 19, 20
- November 2, 3
Primary Teachers: Barbara Verrochi, Kristin Leigh, Annie Piper, Maria Rubinate, Maria Cutrona, and Julianna Takacs.
- 25 classes at the Shala
- In-class privates
- Class observations
- Anatomy and asana worksheets
- Close reading of texts
- Dharma reports (dharma talks based on reading)
- Memorization of Yoga Sutras
- Meditation and journaling
- $3500, pay $500 non-refundable deposit by April 1st.
- Inquire about payment plan. We add on $75 for payment plan processing. Total is $3575
- Work study is available for reduced training prices.
- We are offering partial scholarships for people of color, in keeping with The Shala’s aspirations for a more racially diverse teaching body.
To apply for the Shala’s 200-hour Advanced Training, inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the registration process.
“I really loved being part of The Shala YTT, I met the most wonderful and supportive group of yogis – teachers and fellow TTs alike. We are still in touch as we continue our journey. We learned so much about all aspects of yoga such as anatomy, sequencing, meditation, sutras, sanskrit, bhagavad gita, ayurveda, different styles of yoga, like restorative and prenatal and were really immersed in what it means to be a yoga teacher. I also appreciated that the common theme of the training was to find our own voice and style. We were guided so beautifully by all the teachers who shared their unique wisdom and experience. Now we can choose to dive even deeper into whatever area we are most drawn to on this great path. I am so grateful to Barbara and Kristin for creating this program in a safe and supportive space and feel lucky to have been a part of it.”